English for Speakers of Other Languages
ESOL QuestionsSelect AleESOLQuestions
- Abstracts or summary/ies of ESOL research. Select AleESOLResearchSummaries
- Links to study/ies. Select AleESOLStudies
- Full citations of research not available online. Select AleESOLCitations
Discussion Summary/iesSelect AleESOLDiscussionSummaries
Whole DiscussionSelect AleESOLWholeDiscussion
ESOL GlossarySelect AleESOLGlossary
Glossary of Second and Primary Language Acquisition Terms http://www.earthrenewal.org/secondlang.htm
- Grammar checker website that provides corrective feedback on L2 writing errors: http://virtualwritingtutor.com/
- Don't Give Up! European Union funded project - Motivating adult language learners to complete courses http://www.dontgiveup.eu/
- ESOL Bibliography. Select AleESOLBibliography
- References to articles on research or professional wisdom in ESOL. Select AleESOLReferences
- 2000 Census data on Limited English Proficient (LEP) populations as a resource for One-Stop Career Centers and their education and job training partners. Select AleESOL2000CensusData
- Tennessee Adult ESOL Curriculum resource Book. http://aeonline.coe.utk.edu/esolcrg.pdf
- NCSALL Publications on ESOL: http://www.ncsall.net/index.php?id=64
- Focus on Basics issue on ESOL Research: http://www.ncsall.net/index.php?id=986
- Practitioner Toolkit: Working with Adult English Language Learners: http://www.cal.org/caela/tools/program_development/elltoolkit/CombinedFilesl.pdf
- Tutor Training Kit: http://www.nald.ca/clr/ttk/ttm/TTKTTM.pdf
- CAELA: Working With Literacy-Level Adult English Language Learners: http://www.cal.org/caela/esl_resources/collections/literacy.html
- Workplace Literacy. Select Workplace Literacy Links
- Online Educational Comics Launched for ESOL and Literacy Programs by Author/Journalist Bill Zimmerman. Select makebeliefscomix
- Take a look at how ESOL is delivered in Scotland at http://www.esolscotland.com.
- ESOL tutor videos. Five short videos of tutors working with adult English language learners at literacy Volunteers of Rochester, New York videos
- Building Basics: ESOL Toolkit for General Construction, Landscaping and Painting http://www.valrc.org/publications/buildingbasics/
- Tips for ESL Literacy Teachers a post by Dr. Heide Wrigley to the NIFL English Language Learners discussion list, on May 8, 2007.
- valodas - free cross-platform language learning software
- CONFRONTING INTOLERANCE: Critical, Responsive Literacy Instruction with Adult Immigrants. Stephen G. Mogge. Towson University. Sept 2008. Captures the experience of adult immigrants who are improving their English literacy while confronting an intolerant political culture.https://www.sensepublishers.com/product_info.php?products_id=627&osCsid=5f9b0fe4df740366b22622a75f8159a9
- A free web-based multimedia system for adults learning English at http://www.usalearns.org
- A learning system of support, structure and resources for adults continuing to learn at http://www.learnerweb.org
- English lessons, grammar and vocabulary on this free website at http://www.englishpage.com
- Write literacy lesson plans from reading passages at http://www.lessonwriter.com
- CLC selections of essays: 'We Are Your New Neighbors' CLC ESL Writing and Supplemental/Instructional Material http://clcpages.clcillinois.edu/divns/ace/essays2009.htm or visit http://clcpages.clcillinois.edu/divns/ace/essays2009.htm
- Audiotapes. http://home.vicnet.net.au/ozideas/literacy.htm http://home.vicnet.net.au/ozideas/spelling.htm http://www.ozreadandspell.com.au? is an overview for English speakers, but some charts help English-learners, e.g.cartoon exaggerations of vowel-sounds,http://home.vicnet.net.au/%7Eozideas/v06vowels.htm
- Conference handouts including grammar and poetry. http://www.conntesol.net/Conference.html
- A free ESL website for Spanish speaking adult students. Proven to be a very effective teaching aid and fits in well with distance learning programs. For those interested e-mail:Paul Rogers,email@example.com or visit http://www.PUMAROSA.COM , visit Topic: Adult Biliteracy
- A questionnaire 'TK75 Research Survey Questionnaire' gives a teacher insights into the target culture and student's own culture. For students at lower language proficiency levels, this form has been administered in students' languages. e-mail: Ted Klein at firstname.lastname@example.org for the Spanish version., http://www.tedklein-ESL.com
- Independent Studies 3 credit grad. course, learn how language is acquired, incorporate strategies, & materials in your classroom; ED/B 9813 Teaching English Language Learners; Brandman & Chapman Univ.; http://www.chapman.edu/ExEd/k-12
- Learn English, French, Spanish, Japanese, Italian, German, Russian,Chinese, Portuguese and Swedish; http://www.lingq.com
- The Change Agent, newsletter see http://www.nelrc.org/changeagent or call Cynthia Peters 617-482-9485.
- Theatre for English Language Learners, the Educational Theater of New York presents classic works of literature in short scenes with interaction after each piece. Students can choose to repeat a scene or continue to the next scene, see http://www.etnyarts.org.
- The Dropbox service at http://www.dropbox.com is a website where you can join free and download/upload files, pictures etc. to a shared folder. It can be shared with all of your computers, phones and/or with other people.
- For a simpler phonetic notation than IPA that lets you WRITE phonetically use truespel phonetics. For a list of free tutorials see http://justpaste.it/useit The free converter is at http://truespel.com. Have learners be able to WRITE what they hear phonetically for phonemic awareness assessment. USA accent only.
- ESL Literacy Network http://www.esl-literacy.com addresses the professional development needs of ESL literacy practitioners. The website showcases comprehensive, research based information, resources and tools.