Project Based Learning
Project-Based Learning (PBL) is also sometimes known as constuctivist (see Constructivist_theory) or problem-based learning.
1. What is Project-based learning in adult literacy education? http://www.literacy.org/pdk/using/digest1PBLRS2_Au2.00.htm
2. What does research say about outcomes from project based learning? Is this an effective approach?
- Stites, Regie. Evaluation of Project Based Learning http://pblmm.k12.ca.us/PBLGuide/pblresch.htm A short summary by Dr. Regie Stites, of SRI International, of the effectiveness of project based learning.
3. How can a project based ("constructivist") approach be used with GED students?
- Green, Anson M. "Project Based Learning and the GED" in Focus on Basics, Volume 2, Issue B, June 1998. http://www.ncsall.net/?id=408
Focus on Basics articles on project-based learningat http://www.ncsall.net/index.php?id=76
- "Implementation Isn't Easy" Janet Geary (FOB, Volume 7, Issue A, June 2004)
- "Collaborating with Students to Build Curriculum that Incorporates Real-Life Materials" Charissa Ahlstrom (FOB, Volume 6, Issue C, September 2003)
- "Research in Writing: Implications for Adult Literacy Education" Marilyn K. Gillespie (2001) (Annual Review, Vol. II: Chapter Three)
- "Building a Web Site in an ABE Class" Maura Donnelly (FOB, Volume 4, Issue C, December 2000)
- "Project-Based Learning and the GED" Anson M. Green (FOB, Volume 2, Issue B, June 1998)
- "Less Teaching and More Learning" Susan Gaer (FOB, Volume 2, Issue D, December 1998)
- "Turning Obstacles into Opportunities" Deborah L. Johnson (FOB, Volume 2, Issue D, December 1998)
- "Voter Education, Registration, and Action (VERA)" Andrea Nash (FOB, Volume 2, Issue D, December 1998)
- "Knowledge in Action: The Promise of Project-Based Learning" Heide Spruck Wrigley (FOB, Volume 2, Issue D, December 1998)
Other Articles, Web pages and Reports
- Constructivism http://carbon.cudenver.edu/~mryder/itc_data/constructivism.html
- Moss, Donna and Van Duzer, Carol. "Project-Based Learning for Adult English Language Learners." ERIC Digest. December 1998. http://www.cal.org/caela/digests/ProjBase.htm
- Ananda, Sri. How Instructors can Support Adult Learners Through Performance- Based Assessment. Equipped For the Future (EFF) Assessment Report. http://eff.cls.utk.edu/PDF/ananda_eff.pdf
- Brooks, Jacqueline Grennon and Brooks, Martin G. In Search of Understanding: The Case for Constructivist Classrooms, Revised Edition. ASCD. 1999. http://www.ascd.org/ed_topics/brooks1999_intro.html and http://www.ascd.org/portal/site/ascd/template.book/menuitem.ccf6e1bf6046da7cdeb3ffdb62108a0c/?bookMgmtId=4101177a55f9ff00VgnVCM1000003d01a8c0RCRD
Examples of Adult Project-based Learning
- Just-in-time EL Civics on the Mexican Border http://www.bordercivics.org/pages/project.htm
- Civic Participation and Community Action Sourcebook http://easternlincs.worlded.org/docs/vera/index1.htm
- MUJER, Mothers United for Jobs, Education and Results. http://members.aol.com/CulebraMom/mujer.html
- Project learning that incorporates technology, sponsored by the New England Literacy Resource Center http://hub1.worlded.org/nelrctech/projects/examples.html
- Email Projects http://www.otan.us/webfarm/emailproject/email.htm A collection of Adult ELL and ABE projects which use the Web and other technology